Saturday, October 6, 2012

time management.

Saturday night, working on lesson plans... I know I am saying this for the nth time, but there simply are not enough hours in the day to accomplish all my crazy little mind desperately wants to get done. My life goals and daily planning are in need of a serious overhaul. I am a Type-A overachiever through and through and every time I look at my to-do list I find myself lacking in three incredibly important departments: time, money, and focus. Today, Doug and I took my poor little Honda Civic into the shop for some doctoring, and walked out with a $600+ bill.  Say goodbye, meager savings. Why is it that the vast majority of things that I want and want to do cost more money and time than I seem to have at my disposal? These late nights squeezing in whatever work I can manage to keep my eyes open for always leave me a bit discouraged. If I barely have time to do the trivial things that I must do (to keep my job, to avoid bankruptcy and jail time...) how can I possibly find the time to do the things I want to do (become a better blogger, learn new things, save for the future, have fun) I think this autumn calls for a serious readjustment.  I am already diligently working toward a few of my October goals (gym membership: check, Monday night dinner at dad's: check, article submissions: check) but I think I need to rearrange some general habits in my life. I want to find time for personal enjoyment as well as future planning, in addition to my weekly goals. It might be time to tap into my super-efficient, incredibly talented cousin, Robert, over at the Life Design Project for some tips on productivity and positivity.

My "problem" I think, is that I want to have it all. I have worked hard my whole life and maybe some selfish little person inside of me thinks I should get everything that I want because I put so much effort in.  Is it possible to have it "all"? Am I asking too much or am I just going about it the wrong way? Obviously, having it all means different things to different people, but I just want to see all of my dreams come true. We are told as little children that if we pursue our dreams anything is possible, but what do we do when those dreams start to feel unrealistic or unattainable? Since there is not much wiggle room for me in the time or money categories at this particular moment, my hope is that I can spend some time working on my focus. Any tips or suggestions from you centered zen masters out there? How do you cut out the fluff? How do you keep from getting scatterbrained or spreading yourself too thin?

One thing that I know helps to keep me on the ball is reminding myself of everything I have accomplished thus far. Stay tuned for a little bit of (much-needed) reflection and self-love. In the meantime: what is one thing that you have accomplished that you are proud of?

No comments:

Post a Comment