Saturday, September 1, 2012

westward bound.

Wow.  Is it really September 1st already?! Get. Out.

Okay, you can come back now... I just cannot believe how quickly this summer has gone by.  So much has happened and is about to happen, I am overwhelmed (in a good way, for the most part).  While I would normally apologize for not having posted in such a long time, it would be impossible to feel sorry for all of the wonderful things that have been going on in recent weeks.  Doug and I just returned from an amazing trip to the Pacific Northwest.  After spending a couple days in Portland, enjoying the delicious, diverse food, microbrews, and the unique, friendly atmosphere of our "farm stay" accommodations, we headed up to the Oregon/Washington border for some camping and hiking.  We were so (so so so) lucky to be the recipients of some serious generosity and got to stay at a private camping lot nestled between Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams in the Columbia River Gorge.  Four days of fresh air, twenty-two miles of hiking, and no running water.  Other than the greasy hair, I loved every minute of it.  

As we expected, Douglas and I fell in love with Oregon.  I cannot even begin to put into words how breathtaking the landscape was - the greenery, the mountains, the wildflowers, the coast.  Everything around us was unforgettably beautiful, the kind of scenery that makes you a believer.  We saw and experienced so much: a walk through the colored rooms at the famed Powell's City of Books, a plantain feast from a Cuban food truck in downtown Portland, Doug's first wine-tasting at a local vineyard, a delicious blackberry shake (or two or three) from Burgerville... a thirteen-mile hike to Tunnel Falls, a "local logger lager" with a sweet potato burrito from Everybody's Brewing, the gorgeous alpine flora of Bird Creek Meadows, a night under the stars along the White Salmon River.  Everything was perfect, it was almost painful to leave.  Here are a few of my favorite shots from the trip:
Immediately upon our return, we had to pack, move, and unpack all of my belongings (which were a bit more substantial and a tad heavier than this minimalist would like to admit).  Yes, in the eleventh hour (and with a little help and good luck) I was able to track down a perfect little apartment near my school.  How lucky am I?  (So very, I am constantly reminding myself...) Though the moving process, crammed in just as we got back from our wonderful albeit exhausting adventure to the west coast, was less than smooth, I am so happy in my new humble abode.  It is very nice to have a place I can call my "own," a private space for relaxation and cogitation, cooking and crafting, productivity and love.

As for all the things about to happen:
*My sister Samantha turns 19 tomorrow (wow!)
*School starts up this week (eek!)
*Doug and I are attempting a month on a vegetarian diet (hmm...)
I know that September is going to be just as busy and exciting as August was.  I cannot wait for all that is in store for us.  This summer was possibly the busiest but most rewarding one of my life.  I am so blessed to have such unique opportunities come my way and to experience them with such wonderful people.  This autumn is sure to be a continuation of the love, adventure, and education I have been privileged to receive over the past year.  Doug and I have been dreaming, scheming, and planning around the clock.  I am so excited my heart is practically beating out of my chest. So tell me, reader, what have you got planned?

No comments:

Post a Comment