Monday, July 15, 2013

rocky mountain fever.

This weekend, Doug and I ventured upstate to Rocky Mountain National Park for some sightseeing and hiking. The weather was not as kind as we would have liked, but we still had a great time exploring the area and spending time together. We took the drive northward Saturday morning and after several closed roads and detours, we finally made it to the trailhead. About halfway into our hike, the sky opened up in a thundering downpour, soaking my underprepared self to the bone... I have a much harder time spending money on outdoor gear than the well-dressed, waterproof Douglas. After an impromptu, middle-of-the-trail wardrobe change, however, I was able to escape hypothermia and we were back on our feet. We only covered about four miles of ground but, since I have yet to acclimate to the altitude, that was about all my lungs and legs could take.

The Colorado elevation has been doing a number on my fitness self-esteem. Normally, two weeks into a fitness routine and I would be kicking butt and taking names, but my body has not gotten used to the thin air, and even a short jog can leave my legs feeling rubbery and my lungs gasping for more oxygen. Next weekend, Doug plans to take on Pikes Peak, one of Colorado's famous "fourteeners" (14,000 feet). I want to join him on this adventure but I do not think my hiking track record has been strong this season. I feel like such a wimp! We will be doing a little bit of training this week, so I am going to decide whether or not I think I am aerobically up for the trek.

After our expedition near the continental divide, we hit the road for a scenic drive through the mountains and clouds, made even better by an awesome lightning storm that danced across the sky as we made our way back south. After a stop in Empire for a proper pancakes-and-eggs dinner at the "original" Hard Rock Café (named for the local mining community - nothing to do with the chain) we made it home to our warm and cozy apartment, a weekend well spent for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment