Saturday, January 9, 2010

So this is the new year...

So it is 2010 and a new year has begun. I suppose that I would be playing the archetypal, cliché blogger if I was to provide you now with my annual list of resolutions. Not that I do not have such a list (I almost always have an ever-evolving queue of aspirations and "to-dos" close at hand), but for the moment I will abstain from revealing it to you. Perhaps at some point I will disclose all of the innermost ambitions and schemes of my heart, but for now you will have to content yourself with something different. Being the list-making maven that I am, I offer you instead a register of things that tickle my fancy, just little bits from life that put a smile on my face. What better way to start a new year than with a reflection on all the wonderful things that make me glad to be here experiencing life with you? So here it is, my dear, in no particular order and only the tiniest tip of the iceberg: a list of the many things that light me up like the stars in the sky. You may or may not know some already. Happy new year!

1. thick, creamy steamed milk on top of my cappuccino.
2. cracking crème brûlée with a little spoon (and eating it, of course! yum)
3. words. words to read, words to write, words to speak, words to sing, words to hear. I cannot get enough.
4. self-portraiture. watching people discover themselves through a lens is such a beautiful thing.
5. making something with my hands. knitting. sketching. sewing. creating.
6. foreign films. foreign language. foreign cuisine. I love experiencing how other people see the world.
7. driving with the windows down and singing at the top of my lungs.
8. walking barefoot... on the sand, in the grass, on the pavement, on cold wood floors. I like to feel the earth and let it feel me.
9. boutiques/little shops. I love the intimacy and quaintness of local vendors, regardless of their fare, be it chocolate or tea or vinyls or books or vintage clothing or antiques or art...
10. airport boarding gates. the thrill of going somewhere new or visiting an old friend... few things compare.
11. the feeling of my hand in yours.
12. old photographs and family heirlooms.
13. spearmint toothpaste.
14. Christmas carols.
15. epiphanies. I think I have them on a daily basis.
16. flowers. all kinds, especially hand-picked.
17. libraries. getting lost in all they have to offer.
18. the smell of burnt matches.
19. coconut shrimp. the world knows no better food.
20. my family, my first true love: the ones that live, the ones I've lost, the ones yet to come.

I (we) have so much to be thankful for. I suppose it would not be too brash of me to offer one resolution I have for the new year: to discover as many delightful and charming things as I am able. Now, which of life's little snippets make you sing?

No comments:

Post a Comment