Wednesday, August 1, 2012

new york, part i

So, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I am participating in an NEH summer institute that focuses on immigration and American identity through the delicious agency of food.  Though stationed at the New York Public Library on 5th Avenue, we have been running around all over the city doing a bit of sight-seeing and "research" (codeword for eating).  So far we have sat in on a few scholarly lectures at the NYPL, toured the library's "Lunch Hour" exhibit, ferried out to Liberty and Ellis Islands, wandered around Castle Clinton, and walked the "food tour" with the Tenement Museum around the Lower East Side.  From fresh-barreled pickles to chocolate-covered pretzels, black sesame creme puffs to delicately steamed dim sum, we have been studying and sampling some decadent and delicious cultural fare. Here is a brief look at some of the sights and memories I have been collecting over the past three days:
Monuments and tenements, synagogues and subway stops, finger food and feasts - I have taken in so much over the past few days; my senses are on overload!  Though slightly worn out (already?!) I am so excited to be participating in this seminar.  I cannot wait to see what else they have in store for us. Yum :)

No comments:

Post a Comment