Monday, July 23, 2012

sweet, sweet music.

This weekend, Doug and I went to the Xponential Music Festival held by UPenn's WXPN, featuring Dr. Dog, the Avett Brothers, and Wilco.  It was a great show and I have still yet to come down from the little music high I am on.  The Avett Brothers are one of our favorite bands; we saw them together for the first time back in September.  They are really just a bunch of crazy rednecks who love music and have enough creativity and versatility to write songs that not only make you smile, but make you think, and sometimes just make you rock out.  The highlight of the show (for me at least) was when the Avett Brothers broke into their own rendition of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird" in the middle of their song "Kick Drum Heart."  I mean, really??  It was awesome!

Music is integral to both of our lives, and it is something that Doug and I connected on very early.  In fact, discussions about music are really what helped us to first get to know each other and develop our relationship.  I remember telling him when we first started talking that, given the choice, I would rather go blind than deaf because I could not even imagine the agony of living a life without music.  I actually ended up with profound hearing loss in my right ear as a result of a bad infection when I was a little girl; I think that has made me all the more aware of how precious the experience of music actually is.  Doug is much better than I at tinkering around with his guitar, and probably at realizing his musical dreams in general, but both of us like to joke about our own little band that exists somewhere in the future :) Maybe some day.  I have a brand new tambourine that Doug gave me for my birthday and it is calling my name...

The two of us have tickets to see what is sure to be an amazing show in August: Band of Horses with My Morning Jacket in Maryland, right before we head off to Oregon for our much-anticipated camping trip.  Doug and I are already talking about how excited we are; we cannot wait.  We just purchased the album "Circuital" and are really enjoying it, along with some other new tunes that we seem to play on constant rotation.  I will have to post a little playlist so you can see the soundtrack that has been moving our summer along.  What music moves you?

No comments:

Post a Comment