Sunday, January 27, 2013

updates.

So much to do, so little time. That seems to be the quote of my life!

2013 is starting off in a busy, boisterous, bustling fashion... not that I am complaining :) I am finally back on my feet and seem to have kicked the remnants of the nasty cold that had been clinging to me since Christmas. A juice fast and daily vitamins have done the trick, or at least so it appears. There are so many things going on - exciting, stressful, encouraging, challenging - and I cannot wait to share them with you!

Douglas is back in school, the start of his senior year, and the work has already started piling on. He was recently asked to be a teacher's assistant for an algorithms class and we are already realizing how much extra effort and focus that is going to require this semester. I am so very proud of him. Before I met Doug, I had always thought that I was "good at math"; I made it through Calculus I and II (at least, the Liberal Arts version of those courses) and I have been a math tutor for calculus and algebra... then I caught a glimpse of some of the work Doug is expected to do for his computer science degree. It is no joke, let me tell you: terms and symbols I have never heard of or seen before, complex equations that take days to solve, concepts that I cannot even begin to wrap my brain around. Despite the difficulty of the work he encounters, Doug approaches everything he has to do with discipline and direction. His dedication to his studies is truly admirable. Way to go, baby!

I am slowly making it through my least favorite time of the school year: midterm. Not only does the dreadful end of second quarter mean examinations and essays to prepare and grade, but I also have to do course recommendations for next year - one of my least favorite experiences in the entire world! The good news is that in one more week it will all be over and done with, and I will be off on my merry teacher way once again. In the meantime, I apologize for the lack of posts.

So many new projects are piling up on this little lady's desk. My tutoring schedule is completely booked, which has taken up most of my free time lately (I am not complaining though, it has been a financial blessing), and I am gearing up to begin practices for African American - Latino Festival, a performance based club I am supervising for the first time. I have several photography projects I would like to pursue, so I am itching for warmer weather and the chance to spend more time outdoors. Douglas and I purchased a new blog domain, and I am hoping to start some web design and get that whole project up and running soon (more details to come). My apartment also needs attention; I have been brainstorming some organization and decoration ideas that I would like to see into fruition (does anyone know how to make a slipcover for a sofa?) I also have a trip or two in the works. In a few weeks I will be popping over to Arizona for a couple days to visit my dear friend, Renée, before she gives birth to her first child this spring. So much is going on, so much to be thankful for and excited about.

I appreciate your patience during one of my most infrequent posting times of the year. You guys are the best!
Me being, you know, me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment