Tuesday, May 29, 2012

stone barns.

As part of our Memorial Day weekend adventure-seeking extravaganza, Doug and I headed over the bridge to Tarrytown to check out the Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture.  It was our first trip of what I can guarantee will be many... I loved it!  The purpose of our visit was to scope out the upcoming program selection while enjoying a sunny day outside together; I'd say: mission accomplished.  We spent the afternoon admiring the grounds, tasting the produce (there are a café and a restaurant on site that use food from the farm), and laughing at silly pigs - what better way to pass a lazy Sunday? :)    

It has been a secret (okay, maybe not-so-secret) dream of mine to live on a farm when I "grow up".  Ever since I can remember, nature has fascinated me, and I have craved opportunities to take part in its growth and preservation.  If you have been following me for a while now, you've probably noted that I am an advocate of organic foods, sustainable agriculture, and renewable energy.  Over the years, I have been able to participate in some fantastic programs that promote nutritional and environmental consciousness, like the Urban Nutrition Initiative's high school gardening program in Philadelphia and beekeeping classes through Cornell Cooperative Extension.  I am always looking for new ways to learn and contribute.  When I saw the flyer for Stone Barns at my local Whole Foods, I knew I had to check it out.  The Stone Barns Center is a non-profit local farm that offers programs to increase awareness about responsible agriculture, while educating the public to be mindful producers and consumers (check out the Stone Barns mission statement on their website).  I am hoping to find some workshops to squeeze into my schedule this summer.  The state of agriculture in this country is not something to be ignored - for anyone who is interested, there are some great documentaries out there if you're looking to get hip to the movement (check out: Food, Inc.The Future of FoodFresh).  Happy viewing!
The grounds had some beautiful buildings, with lovely wild roses and herbs decking every corner... it was like walking around in a fantasy.  I am continuously restless and impatient for the day that I will have my own little plot of land to develop and share with others.  For now, a girl can dream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment