Thursday, May 31, 2012

it keeps you running.

Motivation.  That's what I am wondering about today.  Yesterday afternoon, the recreational frisbee team I coach lost a scrimmage to a team we easily could have defeated.  The reason?  Heart.  Energy.  Motivation.  While our skills equally matched and most likely exceeded those of the opposing team, their tenacity and determination greatly outmatched ours and led them to victory.  It was extremely frustrating to watch and it made me wonder: what motivates us?  What pushes some people to work harder than others?  To want things more?

In class, we recently had our students analyze Jimmy Carter's 1975 speech on the "crisis of confidence."  In the address, he talks about the lack of heart and spirit that threatened to destroy the very fabric of America.  This lack of faith came after a series of blows to the United States: the assassinations of John and Bobby Kennedy, Dr. King and Malcolm X; the agony of the Vietnam War; the corruption of Watergate.  President Carter believed that these wounds struck the very heart of America and left the people searching for meaning outside of traditional American values, namely through consumerism.  Change, Carter argued, required a renewal of faith, a restoration of pride and determination coming from the American people themselves.  Unfortunately for Carter (my favorite American president), the people did not believe that he was the one who could bring about such change.  Rather than accountability and responsibility, it was the enthusiasm, energy, and patriotism of Reagan that would restore American confidence, a strong leader who could motivate his people.  But is that really what drives human motivation - leaders?  Are we really just a flock, mindlessly following our shepherd?  What if we want to be our own leaders?  How do we motivate ourselves?

This time of year, I always start to feel a nagging sense of malaise.  Despite the fact that summer is rapidly approaching, I feel overwhelmed, tired, and incredibly unmotivated.  Though disappointed at the increasing apathy of my students, I understand their lack of energy and interest because I, too, have grown a bit cranky.  So, how can I get that extra surge of energy to finish out the school year on a high note?  Where is that burst of enthusiasm I need to accomplish the tasks that lie before me?  I am searching for answers.

What motivates you?

No comments:

Post a Comment