Wednesday, June 20, 2012

(de)classified.

Perhaps it is because of this year's presidential election, but I have been witnessing a lot of hostility lately.  Posts and comments about those darned "Conservatives," "Liberals," "environmentalists," "Democrats," "Republicans," "hippies," "Christians."  I am going crazy!  Why are we so desperate to categorize and condemn others?  Personally, I do not like being carelessly lumped into any one group.  As a sociology teacher, I cannot deny that society has a significant impact on the way we think and behave, and that most human beings do seek the approval of others and membership in some form of a group... but to think that whatever crowd we roll with actually defines us?  I do not buy it.  I can consider myself an environmentalist without subscribing completely to the lifestyle.  If I buy a plastic bottle of water on a road trip it does not mean I am a hypocrite, and if I show up at a protest it does not mean I am an anarchist. I can consider myself a Christian without meeting the general public's definition of such.  If I slip up it does not mean I am a heathen, and if I go to church every Sunday it does not mean I am a religious fanatic.  Why are we so quick to label and jump to conclusions?  Hasn't history taught us how dangerous it is when we make "others" out of fellow human beings?  Slavery. Genocide. War. We move "past" these things and yet we allow the underlying behaviors to exist. I say no thank you.

Even in my own school district, tensions are running high.  Conflicts over economics, contracts, and regulations are turning teachers, parents, administrators, and board members against each other.  It is not a pleasant situation.  Each side is quick to classify the other as "greedy," "stingy," and "uncaring."  Meaningful things are being fought over, but meaningful things are also being compromised in the process.  Follow the union and you may be labeled an uncaring, unmotivated teacher, while following the district will quickly get you classified as a traitor.  What happens when you do not want to be classified at all?  What happens when you just want to be an individual who follows his/her own heart?  It is as if we do not allow for such a thing.

We are told that Gandhi once said, "be the change you wish to see in the world" (an interesting NY Times article says otherwise, but that is besides the point).  It seems as though everyone throws that quote around some time or another... but does anyone actually live it?  We cannot expect everyone to live and think as we do, so why do we waste time complaining about each other?  Perhaps because it is easy, perhaps because it makes us feel better about ourselves.  I do not know, but the best way to affect change is to actually go do it, to live it, to be it.  So maybe Gandhi, or the bumper-sticker company, or whoever, was right.  If we focused on getting out there and living for what we believe in rather than criticizing others who do not believe the same things, maybe the world's to-do list would not be so long.

Obviously, not everyone can be "right." I think if we believe in something we should fight for it, but there is a right and a wrong way to do that, too.  Our goals should be education and awareness, not anger and castigation.  Does anyone ever really accomplish anything by yelling and pointing fingers?  We all have faults. We all make mistakes. We are all entitled to our opinions - I have my own, believe me - but they have a proper time and place.  Maybe we should start having less opinions and take more time exploring, discovering, and changing the world that is out there.  I don't know, just my two cents.  Live and let live.  Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. I AM IN TOTAL AGREEMENT WITH YOU JENNA. I FIND IT DIFFICULT TO SHARE MY OPINION IN A CULTURE THAT CLAIMS TO PREACH TOLERANCE ,WHEN ALL I SEE IS INTOLERANCE OF OTHERS ,BUT THIS IS INDEED WHATS HAPPENS WHEN A SOCIETY TRIES TO LEGISLATE MORALITY, IT CANNOT BE DONE .AS A CHRISTIAN THE LAW WAS WRITTEN TO SHOW ME WHAT SIN LOOKS LIKE ,GOD IS FAR WISER AND KINDER WHICH IS WHAT ENABLES ME TO WANDER THROUGH THIS LIFE WITH HOPE AND TOLERANCE FOR ALL WHO GOD PLACES IN MY PATH.KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT YOU ARE YOUR MOTHER'S DAUGHTER AND MUCH LIKE HER
    LOVE AUNT BARBARA

    ReplyDelete