Friday, June 29, 2012

united we stand?

Perhaps because of the recent Supreme Court decision on President Obama's universal health care plan, or perhaps because I am off to D.C. as a local delegate at the teacher's union representative assembly this week, but I have been thinking a lot about individuality versus collectivity.

Our country purports to be a nation of individuals, one that supports freedom of thought, creativity, and ingenuity.  We celebrate individual success, revere individual sacrifice, scorn individual shortcomings and transgressions.  We are a nation that was built protecting the rights and lives of individuals.  We encourage each other to stand out, to be unique, to pursue individual goals and dreams.  I have always believed that I speak, feel, think, and act as an individual and, for the most part, have always liked it that way.  There are often times that I wish people would mind their own business, step out of my way, and let me make the choices that are best for me.

On the other hand, there are so many good things about collective action.  All for one, and one for all.  E pluribus unum.  United we stand, divided we fall.  All of these creeds suggest that as humans we are meant to come together, to work as one, to support each other.  Great action, great change, is most often seen when people unite.  We are told to "love thy neighbor" but does anyone actually do this?  I mean live it, breathe it?  For the most part, we live our lives concerned about ourselves and the people in our immediate circles... what thought do we give to the stranger down the street, let alone in another town, state, or country?

I go back and forth with my own personal politics regarding this issue.  With all of the disputes going on at the local, state, and national levels, it is hard to figure out exactly where I stand.  Do I support a nation where everyone can live as they see fit, left to their own means and determination to survive - or do I want a country where we come together to set rules, to celebrate, to lift each other up?  I was raised to be self-sufficient, to take care of myself at a very early age.  This has given me a strong work ethic and has been a powerful source of motivation and responsibility... but I also know that when I have a family of my own, I want my children to feel that they are part of a team, to have empathy and compassion for other human beings.  One minute I want others (government, coworkers, the "man," whoever) to leave me alone - to let me keep my hard earned money, to let me focus on the dreams and plans I have made for my own future, to stay out of my life.  Then I see so many individuals going without help, being blamed for their failure to thrive in a system that was designed against them.  We are quick to judge each other and call others "lazy," but demand help and "justice" when we struggle ourselves.  What is the answer?  Survival of the fittest? Charity?  Collective responsibility?  I don't know, and as get older (27 is just around the corner! *gulp*) I am starting to realize that I may never know, and that just might be alright.  I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment