Tuesday, June 12, 2012

nom nom nom.



This weekend, it really hit me how much of our lives revolve around what we eat.  Every weekend, Doug and I typically treat ourselves to a dinner date for some much-needed "us" time and a tasty break from the wonderful world of weight-loss.  I usually prepare some scrumptious breakfast for us as well; I love to cook and delight in every opportunity to provide my loved ones with natural delicious homemade meals.  Each Sunday, Doug and I head to Whole Foods for our ritual shopping trip, planning meals and cooking for the week ahead.  Really, so much of what we do revolves around food - not only as a source of nourishment, but as a means to bond, to celebrate, to mourn, to indulge.

I am so lucky to have been brought up in a house that placed a high value on the food that we put into our bodies.  My family has been very selective about the food products we are willing to consume, particularly since my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.  So many people are misled by the price-tags on natural, sustainable foods and they think they cannot afford them.  A real cost-benefit analysis would show that in the long run, mass-produced, factory-farmed, and modified foods are far more costly.  I am so thankful that I have the awareness, access, and ability to buy foods from farmers and companies who make responsible decisions in the production, distribution, and marketing of their products.
This weekend, Doug and I splurged on delicious sashimi, munched on some home-cooked shrimp (my favorite!) and asparagus, and made the weekly rounds at the market.  I am incredibly lucky to have a partner who supports my lifestyle choices.  We also took a quick trip into Philadelphia for a movie date.  We saw (well, I saw, Doug slept) Wes Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom."  I thought it was delightful.  What a nice weekend!  I hope yours was the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment