Wednesday, October 17, 2012

ahhh, italia.

I am not sure if it is because my cousin Robert and his beautiful bride, Maria, just returned from a trip there, because one of my favorite bloggers, Naomi, is planning a vacation there with her family, or if it is simply because I am foregoing gluten-products and therefore craving all things bread-related (the pizza, the bruschetta, the bucatini - somebody stop me!) but BOY do I miss Italy right now. I had the amazing privilege to study abroad in Rome my junior year at college, when Italy became my home away from home for four months, and I have had one opportunity to go back during my backpacking trip in the autumn of 2008, but it has been four years since I stepped foot on Italian soil - e sono nostalgia di casa! I miss the people, the art, the architecture, the language, and yes, most certainly, the food.

For anyone who has never been to Italy, it is everything you would expect it to be. The food is unbelievable (seriously, I think everything tastes better there), the sights are breathtaking, and the atmosphere is just as romantic and historic and beautiful as you would hope. I have a few wonderful memories frozen in my mind that I will never be able to forget (and would not want to). A herd of sheep interrupting a photo shoot in a Roman park. An enthusiastic cabdriver singing to Shaggy songs with a birthday girl and her friends (he knew every word, and not just to Mr. Bombastic!). An Iranian suitor trying to steal my heart with a delicious, home-cooked dinner. Watching countless episodes of Arrested Development with my friend in Florence. A crazy, passionate neighbor threatening to set a bomb off in our apartment...

My wanderlust has been a little overwhelming lately. Ever since I stepped foot out of the country for the first time my senior year of high school, I have been infected with the travel bug. If I sit tight too long, I get antsy, anxious, like I am being trapped against my will. Does anyone else out there feel like that? I just need to get out of New Jersey! Part of me feels guilty for it, that I should be happy exactly where I am at all times, but my restless soul just simply will not allow it. I want adventure! I want to see, hear, feel, smell, and TASTE new and wonderful things all the time. Unfortunately for me, traveling takes a bit of money and time, two things that I find myself continually short on... so I am in need of a few suggestions. Does anyone know of any great short trips that one in my adventure-deprived, financially-lacking predicament might be able to venture off on for a long weekend? Please disclose!

For now, I will dream of my Italy and the delicious homemade pomodoro sauce the mother of my wonderful friend, Carmelo, would send him from Sicily (that he would beneficently share with us). Honestly, the best food I have ever tasted was a simple spaghetti dish with this sauce. Amazing.

Mi manchi, Italia!

Venezia. Perugia. Il Pantheon. La Cappella Sistina. La campagna.

No comments:

Post a Comment