Tuesday, October 2, 2012

meatless, part iv

Okay, so I know that technically it is Tuesday and thus my "Meatless Monday" theme is sort of off, but I have a good excuse!  Last night, I had a bad allergic reaction to food I was given at a committee meeting (the second time their food has made me sick - I'm done!) and I spent a portion of the night in the hospital.  Tachycardia (rapid heart rate) and a hot, prickly, red flush all over my body - it was very scary and very unexpected.  I still do not know exactly what caused the reaction, but I suppose I am due for some allergy tests.  Oh, bother :(

On a happier note, I am no longer ill and could whip up something delicious for myself that was guaranteed not to send me to the ER. I decided to dedicate this week's post to one of my very favorite snacks: guacamole.  My sister and I have always insisted that we could survive on guacamole for every meal if it came down to it.  Delicious, nutritious, and, err... green? This week's meatless meal might not actually qualify as a meal for most, but it does for me. Avocados, packed with good fats and fiber, also come with a high calorie cost (around 300 for one large avocado) and since I can never just eat a little bit, I usually have a big portion with tortilla chips and count it as my lunch. I have included below my recipe for a "basic" guacamole base that serves two hungry people - be sure to read the variations.

Ingredients:
2 large avocados that give slightly when pressed
1/2 a small, yellow onion, chopped
3-4 sprigs of cilantro, chopped fine
salt and pepper, to taste
Directions:
Choosing the avocado is the trickiest part: too firm, and it will not mash well and won't have that creamy taste; too soft and it will be brown and unpleasant.  Master your avocado picking skills!
1. Halve the avocados and discard the pits.  Scoop into a bowl and mash to your preference (Doug likes his chunky, my dad likes his creamy).
2. Season with salt and pepper, mixing until just incorporated.
3. Stir in the onion and cilantro

Variations:
* Many basic guacamole recipes call for tomato and lime.  I do not like either, so I left them out.  I believe the lime is overpowering, even when only a little is used, and I usually do not see tomato added in my favorite Mexican restaurants, so that is a good enough excuse for me!
* Douglas likes a bit of a kick to his guacamole, but I am sensitive to chili peppers.  If you want to spice it up, add some finely chopped jalapeño to yours.
* My very best amiga dominicana, Carolina, showed me a fantastic variation of guacamole that includes chopped granny smith apples.  I incorporate about 1/2 an apple into a two-person serving.  It adds a little bit of sweetness and body to the guacamole and my family LOVES it.  Gracias, Caro!

No comments:

Post a Comment