Saturday, September 8, 2012

and so it begins.

Ah, yes: the first week of classes has come to a conclusion and the first Saturday of the school year has arrived.  Sleeping in, perhaps?  A late, scrumptious breakfast in bed?  No, Doug and I find ourselves at the library kicking off what is sure to be a busy semester of studying, preparing lessons, and late nights with large cups of coffee.  Douglas is next to me clicking away at some graphing program that I cannot even begin to comprehend.  I am spread out over a study table: notebooks here, lesson planners there, textbook plopped open in front of me while attempting to complete my first unit of study in World History.  This is my first real time teaching the course, and I am one-part excited, one-part frazzled over all the time and learning and preparation it will entail.  We start the year off with the Age of Absolutism, an interesting yet fragmented unit where we look at the monarchies of five different nations. It will be a challenge to make connections and keep the material cohesive so the students do not get confused, but who isn't up for a challenge?  With my new Ernest Alexander bag that arrived from Terrain yesterday, I feel extra-motivated and professional today.  It is funny how a few pieces of canvas and leather can make me feel so much cooler.  Shame on me ;)

In other news, my apartment is coming together piece by piece.  I hope to have some photos up soon.  Of course there are some things that I am "stuck" with for the time being - the carpeted floors, the cheap window blinds, the silly wallpaper in the kitchen and bathroom - but home is starting to take on a style that is uniquely mine, and I am happy to have a place to call my own.  I am still waiting on some essentials - the pots and pans set I ordered last week, a new copper kettle to replace one that was burnt to a crisp a few years back, and yes (gasp!) maybe even a television.  Though I refuse to get Cable, it would be nice if Doug and I could watch our movies on something a bit larger than my little MacBook.

I have a lot of great ideas for the blog buzzing around my head for this autumn.  There are so many places to go, pictures to take, pies to bake...  I cannot wait to share everything with you.  Always open to suggestions and feedback, I would love to hear from you if you have anything to say.  Feel free (please, do!) to contact me at americaningenue@gmail.com with any questions, comments, or random musings.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment