Friday, September 21, 2012

back to school.

Ah, yes, back-to-school night... not usually a teacher's favorite evening.  What is it that makes us so nervous about getting up in front of a room of parents?  We are performers and public speakers on a daily basis but, for some reason or another, the idea of spending a night presenting in front of parents leaves many teachers overwhelmed with dread.  I know teachers that intentionally wear all black on this particular evening in order to mask their profuse sweating.  I have met others who have fainted, thrown up, or had to call out sick.  I cannot quite explain where my own fears stem from... part of it is sure to be age difference - me, a 27 year old girl, trying to convince a group of people twenty years my senior to take me seriously as a peer, as an adult.  (Sometimes, I still have trouble thinking of myself that way.) Part of the anxiety is sure to come from those anecdotal nightmare experiences of being cornered by parents angry over test grades or term papers, but those are few and far between. Whatever the reason, it is silly.  Of course, as I should have expected in the first place, this year's back-to-school night was completed without glitch or horror story.  Parents met, courses explained, fears calmed - I am a champion!  Sure there were some awkward silences, sure I jumbled my words a few times, but it is over, and I think everyone left smiling.  Besides, I should be thankful that I have so many parents who have the time, resources, and interest to be able to come hear what I have to say and participate in their child's education - not everyone does.  So thank you, parents, for making my night relatively painless and for helping me help your child.  I will see you next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment