Monday, September 17, 2012

meatless, part ii

I have to tell you, Doug and I are finding this vegetarian diet pretty easy.  We just completed week number two of meatless munching and I am happy to report another successful seven days of deliciousness.  This weekend I decided to save a little money with a focus on simpler, cheaper dishes: this arugula and fontina frittata.  The original recipe was published in Gourmet magazine and can be found on my favorite site for recipes, Epicurious.  Delicious, easy-to-make, and inexpensive, I will enjoy eating this throughout the week (it made eight slices).  I chose to serve the frittata with some roasted creamer potatoes of my own recipe and a mixed green salads with cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, and balsamic vinaigrette. Delizioso!

Ingredients for Purple Creamers
purple creamers (I use five per person)
olive oil
garlic powder
rosemary
salt and pepper

Ingredients for Frittata
1 garlic clove, halved
1 1/2 T olive oil
5 oz baby arugula (7 cups packed)
6 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 Fontina, rind discarded and cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes


Directions for Purple Creamers
1. Place oven racks on top and bottom thirds, set broiler to high
2. Cut potatoes into eighths
3. Place potatoes in a 9x9 baking pan (I used a glass Pyrex)
4. Lightly coat with olive oil and season with herbs, salt, and pepper, to taste
5. Place pan on bottom rack of oven, turning potatoes about ever five minutes until toasted on all sides (about 15 minutes)
Directions for Frittata
1. Preheat broiler (or continue on high after making potatoes)
2. Cook garlic in oil in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet (I used my Le Creuset) until golden, about 2 minutes
3. Discard garlic and add arugula, stirring frequently until wilted, about 2 minutes
4. Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper until combined, then pour over arugula and cook, undisturbed, until almost set, 5 to 6 minutes
5. Sprinkle cheese evenly on top of eggs and broil on top shelf until eggs are set and cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes


Let me know how it comes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment