Wednesday, November 28, 2012

diary of a first-time juicer.

Ah, yes: food. How I have missed you.

I am proud to say I completed my first juice fast successfully, that is, with practically no cheating (damn, you, peanut butter!) and I am very happy with myself. As someone who feels like I am constantly on the run, it was such a relief being able to put certain parts of my life on "pause" while the rest of me continued with the going, going, going. I honestly cannot wait for my next attempt at juicing, and I have plans to revisit this experience over Christmas vacation. Winter break is one of the few times of the year I really get to re-boot amidst the chaos and stress that is being a non-tenured teacher. I am hoping Douglas will join me (please, oh please?!) for at least a few days of the cleanse. I will probably do five days again, and this time neither Doug nor I will have to worry about being stuck indoors with homework. I am actually contemplating the idea of dedicating every Sunday in December as a "juice" day. I have several friends who fast once a week and rave about it. I think it could be a great way to help me "reclaim" those Sundays that I want to spend reflecting and relaxing but always end up spending with errands, chores, and school work. Maybe this could be my own version of Advent.

For those of you considering a juice fast of your own, here is some feedback I hope will be useful to you:
1. You may feel a bit tired during your fast, but my suggestion is to keep busy. I don't know about you, but on days when my schedule is chock-full, particularly with things I actually LIKE to do, I find that I almost have to remind myself to eat. The hardest times for me were when I was stuck inside with mind-numbing tasks (grading research papers, anyone?) and my mind kept searching for distractions, most particularly food. I tend to snack when I am bored (one of my main diet foilers) and not being able to felt like torture at times. Again, it was not really hunger, but simply an overwhelming desire to put food in my mouth. If you decide to fast, try to schedule fun activities or focus on to-do list items you would really like to check off.
2. Plan ahead. Once I went back to work, I was not prepared with the proper amount of juice for my work day, and that was real trouble for me. I did fine during the morning and early afternoon, too busy with my lessons and other activities to think about a growling tummy... but the minute the school bell rang and the day was over, I was headed for disaster. If you cannot be at home during times you would normally snack or eat a meal, be sure you have a pre-made juice with you. I do not recommend trying to push through without food (unless you are doing a complete fast) because you will be much more vulnerable to temptations. My weak moments came during times I tried to extend myself too far and ended up reaching for the easiest nourishment possible.
3. If you cannot afford the BluePrint juices I mentioned in an earlier post but would like to find other pre-made raw juices you can use as back-ups for when you are not at home, I discovered that some Whole Foods markets offer freshly made juices and nut milks that are available at about a quarter of the price. Still more expensive than juicing at home, but a more affordable option for those who need something on the run. 
Those are just my two-cents from my first experience. I hope to become more familiar with juicing recipes, which I may share with you the next time around. 

A lot of good things are coming in December. Not only Christmas (hooray!!!) but in a few days I begin an East Asian history workshop at Princeton University with my friend Alison and I will be starting my yoga classes. I have plans to see my good friend Theresa soon (it has been too long) and will be done with my final two formal observations of the year. In a few short weeks, Douglas will officially have only one year left of school. I am so excited for what is coming next and I cannot wait to relax with him over Christmas break, celebrate another semester of hard work, and plan all of the exciting adventures he and I want to get into during his last year as a Rutgers student. I am so proud of him and so full of joy and dreams over what is to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment